Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Is our view of old engineering distorted by the products which survive?

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

No problem. Some people here are so old that we can't remember, either. g

It's a mixed bag. Cars are much better, and fishing reels are, too. But
wooden matches have gone to hell. Toasters today are complete crap compared
to the old ones.

I'm with you on all of that. I'd love to have a decent strike everywhere match.

What I think you'll find is that the quality of goods has risen or fallen to
match the consumers' expectations and desires, with a strong influence
coming from the fact that people don't really *want* things to last that
long anymore.

Well I think it has fallen to match the abilty of customers to actually fix things tha
that break.

Now I'll get out of the way as the blizzard of messages sweeps into this
thread...

I'll sit back and watch too.

Wes