Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay Chan Jay Chan is offline

Default Yearly Maintenance on Wood Deck for Various Deck Finish?

On Sep 16, 10:08*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Jay Chan" wrote in message

You are right. *The oil will penetrate into the wood. *More
importantly, the annual maintenance is as simply as washing with soap
and water, waiting for the wood deck to dry, and then applying the
same oil finish over the wood deck (that is according to Penofin Oil
Finish web site).

I can also apply solid stain over existing solid stain finish (this is
based on what the customer support of Flood Deck Finish said). *But I
will have to sand to feather the edge where the stain has peeled off.
This is in addition to wash and dry the surface first before sanding.
Seem like a lot of work.

***************************************

Use the Penofin. Great stuff. *Avoid the solid stain. *You won't get a full
season and it will start to peel on the horizontal surfaces.

Yes, I will use Penofin Oil Finish. I have already got a can from
their local dealer. The local dealer showed me how to apply the oil
without wasting too much because the oil can be very runny.
Originally I planned to use a roller to apply the oil; but he said
this would waste too much oil. Seem like I need to use a pad (for
large area) and a brush (for edges and narrow surface).

I will see how this goes next week after I am done with my driveway
this weekend (too many projects, too little time). Luckily, I am
expecting two dry weeks; therefore, I should have a lot of time
available.

Thanks for suggesting that product.

Jay Chan