Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Super-strength rust/iron remover needed

On Sep 17, 8:17*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Sep 17, 7:58*am, " wrote:

On Sep 13, 12:48 am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

The tenants at my daughter's rental property let the bathtub faucet
drip for a couple of years, building up a
rusty area about 12 inches in diameter beneath the faucet, except
directly under the drip where the build-up was washed away. I tried a
spray-on iron/rust remover, but it only helped around the edges. I
was able to scrape off a little portion using a screwdriver, but am
scared that I may damage the tub. Can anyone recommend a super-
strength remover? I vaguely remember something about oxalic acid as
being useful, but not sure.

TIA,

Bob Hofmann

I recommend a PRO ACTIVE MAINTENCE INSPECTION FOR THE FUTURE!

With occasional walk thrus asking whats broke? and fixing it right.

sadly many landlords just want the rent money and dont care about
their homes condition

Unfortunately, it is 230 miles from where my daughter now lives, and
the last tenants had to be evicted as they didn't pay the ent and
obviously didn't care about anything like iron build-up.

Bob-

This stuff will work, I used it on a wall mount toilet that was badly
rust stained because of failing galv water lines.

Super Iron Out (a powder / small crystals)

I used this stuff first & then finished up with ZEP's "CLR"
knockoff......both from the Home Depot in Orange, CA.

A toilet was going to be $500.....the chems, about $20, cleaned up
very well.

cheers
Bob