Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy Christopher Tidy is offline

Default Is our view of old engineering distorted by the products whichsurvive?

Den wrote:

NICE toaster!

In my part of the world (Australia), but I'm sure it is the same everywhere,
it seems economy of scale rules. The large companies outprice the smaller
companies, close them down and then when the competition is gone their
drivers are to push the quality (& cost price) as low as the market will
bear. Be it tools, hardware or materials that's what has happened here. That
reminds me I must take back that caulking gun that crapped itself the first
time I used it.....

We buy the crap so we are to blame I guess, nowadays we can pick up an air
compressor + half a dozen air tools for under AU$200, for limited use they
are fine so I guess there is an upside. Another down side is the guys who
sell it to you have absolutely no idea whatsoever what they are selling or
its application.

Most times I've bought crappy tools in the past I've kicked myself for
doing it later. So much so that I've pretty much stopped doing it. I'd
rather buy a few good tools than many crappy ones. I want them to
perform well, every time. And the few times they go wrong, I want to be
able to make a phone call and get a new one free with no hassle.

Best wishes,

Chris