Posted to alt.home.repair
CL \dnoyeB\ Gilbert CL \dnoyeB\ Gilbert is offline

Default Weatherproofing wood with paint?

aemeijers wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:
jim wrote:
On Sep 16, 9:56 pm, Norminn wrote:
CL "dnoyeB" Gilbert wrote:
I need to make a lid for my Cistern. I plan on using some 2x4s and
perhaps
3/4" plywood. I am wondering if I paint this, will it take on any
measure
of weatherproofness?
If not, how do i make wood weatherproof. Also, without handling too
many
nasty chemicals. I'm not interested in the treated wood, but I can
use it
if necessary. Can't afford cedar.
The water in the Cistern is not for drinking.
CLG
Seems that exterior house paint, properly primed and applied, would do
as well on a cistern cover
as on a house. End grain requires particular attention, extra coats,
as that is generally where paint
fails on exterior wood. I would paint all parts before assembling, and
put on another coat after.

coat of fibreglass

I was thinking of cladding it in metal, e.g. flashing or similar. I
assume only the top needs to be waterproof.

If you do go with fiberglass, you could use balsa or other similarly
light material, as at that point it's simply part of the matrix. (I
believe that some sports cars actually used a balsa/glass sandwich for
floorboards.)

nate

I'd use some of that plastic-skinned stuff sold as cheap sheet siding,
or maybe the stuff they sell for skinning trailers. Or even a sheet of
corrogated roofing material, either fiberglass or metal. I'd also make
the frame for the lid out of metal or PVC pipe. There is a reason few
docks are made out of wood anymore. I assume this lid doesn't have to be
human-safe to walk on?

--
aem sends...

I want it to be safe to walk on. Not that its in a walking area, but
because someone may stumble on it and I don't want it to collapse. The
area is about 64"x96". I'm thinking of semi-permanently covering it, then
having 8-12" of dirt on top then planting a flower garden. Ill still
border off the area. And leave a small observer hole in the center.

My water has lots of red mud that will make its way into the tank. I will
likely have to clean it once per year. Planning to use the shop vac for
that.