Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Weatherproofing wood with paint?

On Sep 16, 8:15*pm, "CL \"dnoyeB\" Gilbert" wrote:
I need to make a lid for my Cistern. *I plan on using some 2x4s and perhaps
3/4" plywood. *I am wondering if I paint this, will it take on any measure
of weatherproofness?

If not, how do i make wood weatherproof. *Also, without handling too many
nasty chemicals. *I'm not interested in the treated wood, but I can use it
if necessary. *Can't afford cedar.

The water in the Cistern is not for drinking.

CLG

Round here well covers for what are often called 'surface wells', that
is 12 to say 25 feet deep have often been made of galvanized sheet
metal.
Typically circular because most wells have a vertical pipe down to a
'rocked in' water chamber below ground big enough to allow a person to
go down if required.
Typically the covers made by a local 'tinsmith' are slightly conical,
ours is about 30 inches in diameter and still unpainted but not rusted
after some 20+ years.
We don't use the well now since municipal water was provided but
there's a couple of feet of water in the well, the cover etc is in
good shape and the well could be used if necessary.