Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Bachman John Bachman is offline

Default ESR meter wonky

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 05:44:10 GMT, John Robertson
wrote:

snipped Arfa's helpful comments
Hello Arfa:

I used my original K7204 DSE ESR meter kit for troubleshooting computer
peripherals and computer terminals for years. I'm sorry to say I didn't
keep updated over the years. Why do you think Dick Smith Electronics
discontinued it and the K7214 Mark II? I've read your postings
regarding others. Have any other low cost alternatives come to market
recently that look good to you? Back in 2006, I see a thread where you
folks had discussed the Peak ESR60 in passing and the BlueESR Kit from
http://www.mainelectronics.com/esrkit.htm certainly looks OK. I've
also seen the Anatek comparisons but perhaps they're somewhat self
serving. Thank you!

Pete

The BLUE ESR kit is designed by Bob Parker and is the Mark III version
of the original Dick Smith device. The software is identical to the Mark
II. Anatek produces them and a number of folks (including Main
Electronics and myself) sell the kits.

So it is an updated PCB design in a nicer case than the DS version.

John :-#)#

A small correction and some more useful info:

The Blue ESR uses the exact same micro firmware as the Mark II version
formerly offered by DSE. Therefore anyone with a DSE Mark II with a
bad micro can replace it with the Blue. We will make those available.

The Blue pcb design is new and is much more robust than the old DSE
design. The pcb and components are all higher quality than DSE used,
especially toward the end of their offering. The enclosure is much
stronger than others. I have actually grabbed one by the test leads
and swung it over my head and slammed it onto a hard table - still
works. Gotta get that on YouTube someday.

One improvement that Bob made on this one was to do some clever pcb
layout to make the unit less susceptible to damage to the micro when
connected to a charged cap. He routed the discharge currents away
from the micro circuitry. I have tested it up to 250 volts with no
damage. In fact, I went to a big cap at 350 volts that actually
burned up pc tracks but still no micro damage - pretty impressive.

We currently have distributors in Canada (John Robertson referred to
them), UK, New Zealand, Australia and Malaysia. Hopefully Poland will
be added soon. See the distributors at www.anatekcorp.com/ESR
distributors.htm.

Jestine Yong at Noahtech has published a very nice piece on how to get
the most from your ESR meter at
http://www.electronicrepairguide.com/esrmeter.html

John
AnaTek Corporation