Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Self Charlie Self is offline

Default Cordless drill - which one to buy??

On Sep 16, 11:29*pm, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
John Doe wrote in news:YmVzk.505$ZP4.442
@nlpi067.nbdc.sbc.com:

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Stay away from new Skil cordless drills. *I picked up one a few
years ago and the battery is already shot. *Now when I need a
drill/driver, I go for a Dewalt corded model. *Lots of power and
the outlet is usually nearby.

You have used a cordless drill and you prefer a corded drill? Wow.

Let's see... There's no batteries to mess with (charge and watch die),
there's about 10 times the power available, and the corded drill doesn't
even blink when I throw screws from 3/4" to 4" at it.

Puckdropper

All true, which is why I've got a Bosch corded drill, but that is
useless when I'm 150' away running screws into something around our
storage shed, so that works best with a cordless. I've got a Bosch
14.4, a DeWalt 12 and 14.4, and a Makita with 12V NiMH batteries. The
Makita battery is crap; NiMH batteries self discharge at an incredible
rate. It's also about 4 years old, so now the batteries only hold a
1/10th charge and discharge before two holes are drilled. Li-ion is
the way to go, as far as I can see, at least for the next couple of
years. Not cheap, though. The Makita drill is fine, pre-dating the
current contest between Hitachi and Makita to see which one can turn
up the hand tool that looks most like chameleon puke.