Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Alan[_2_] Alan[_2_] is offline

Default Is our view of old engineering distorted by the products which survive?

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:37:51 +0000, Christopher Tidy
wrote:

I too have seen some pretty awful old furniture.

I am making some pretty awful new furniture, DiL2 wants some new
storage cupboards and wants them made from white melamine covered
particleboard. I offered her real solid Jarrah ( used to be called
Swan River Mahogany ), such timber is extremely expensive now and she
knocked it back.

I HATE melamine particleboard, it chips whenever a
saw or other tool gets within 2 metres.

One cupboard is assembled, just waiting on door fitting, 2 more cut
out, waiting assembly.

Did I say I hate chipboard & MDF coated with melamine ?? I DO !

At least, DiL1 did appreciate her Jarrah kitchen wedding present I
built for 5 years until they built a new house about 3 years ago.

Some of the hand tools I use are over 50 years old and in many
instances (but not always) are better than modern stuff but my Dozuki
saws are magnificent.