Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy Christopher Tidy is offline

Default Is our view of old engineering distorted by the products whichsurvive?

Gerald Miller wrote:

When was the last time you saw the radiator on an economy car that
lasted more than ten years of rough usage? Think Ford, Model "A". I
just disposed of my beer fridge, having replaced the start switch 25
years ago, it was manufactured in 1955 and I replaced it as an energy
conservation measure. OTOH, I also just replaced my central AC after
23 seasons.

Some new radiators are awful compared to the old copper ones. Even those
which imitate the old copper ones have far less metal in them.

Also, because many modern radiators are aluminium with crimped-on
plastic top and bottom tanks, you can't fix them. When you get a leak,
you've just got to buy a new one.

Best wishes,

Chris