Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy Christopher Tidy is offline

Default Is our view of old engineering distorted by the products whichsurvive?

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message

Hi folks,

I apologise if the title is a bit of a mouthful. But I've been thinking
about this issue for some time, and would like to seek the opinion of
people here. You frequently hear people complain about the quality of
modern products and say things like "They don't make them like they used
to". But it has occurred to me that maybe older products look good today
because only the good products have stood the test of time, and the poor
products have been thrown away years ago. What do people think? Were
products better in general back in the fifties, say, or were there a
mixture of good and bad? I'd be interested to hear people's opinions, as
I'm not old enough to remember myself.

Best wishes,

Chris

No problem. Some people here are so old that we can't remember, either. g

It's a mixed bag. Cars are much better, and fishing reels are, too. But
wooden matches have gone to hell. Toasters today are complete crap compared
to the old ones.

Actually, good toasters are out there. I just bought one where all the
parts are individually replaceable and I'm really pleased with it.
Here's a pictu
http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~cdt22/...t_4ATW-131.jpg

It's a Rowlett Rutland "Regent" 4ATW-131. I got it at more than 50% off.
Not sure if they export to the USA, though.

What I think you'll find is that the quality of goods has risen or fallen to
match the consumers' expectations and desires, with a strong influence
coming from the fact that people don't really *want* things to last that
long anymore.

It's certainly the case that consumers are to blame to some degree.
After all, the market serves up what they want to buy.

It's interesting to try to establish a general trend. What do people
think? In general - that is, if we try to take some kind of average - do
people think that the quality of products is better or worse today?

I get the impression that some of the best products from the past are
unbeaten, and that some of the craftsmanship required to build these
products has been lost. But some people may disagree.

Best wishes,

Chris