Posted to alt.home.repair
Artful Dodger[_3_] Artful Dodger[_3_] is offline

Default Raccoon Problem

On Sep 16, 9:42 am, wrote:
On Sep 15, 2:04 am, "Rob Mills" wrote:

I did do an internet search this afternoon and found that another party
used ammonia in a bowl to discourage them so maybe my spraying it
will work.

Why on God's green earth don't you put some ammonia in a bowl then?
Spraying it, it's going to smell like ammonia for a few minutes until
the fine mist dissipates and what little got on things evaporates. A
large bucket or bowl of ammonia will hold the smell longer.

I also agree that he's there because you've got food. Get rid of the
food source, put out the stinky ammonia, and he will move on.

Just to add my .02:

The city where I live no longer lends humane traps. They say they
will not trap any "healthy animal". !!!!

So the raccoon that has taken over our lives used tocome in and mess
up the cat feeding station -- you know how THAT looks!

Got to the point where we have to block up the cat door every
night. So the cat comes in through my bedroom window, staining paint
on the outside and wrecking wallpaper on the inside. There was a
scare in town where a criminal was entering houses and terrorizing
older women. So I wrote to the police chief, asking him to instruct
Animal Control to trap the raccoon. What did His Nibs do? Sent my
appeal to Animal Control, which send me a fat package of useless
information that I already had!

Hanging a bag of mothballs outside over the cat door makes it
unnecessary to block up the cat door until the mothballs sublimate (is
that the right term), whereupon the invasion resumes. Meantime, the
very spoiled cat will not condescend to use the smelly cat door; just
keeps on using the window. I have installed window "blocks" so it
won't open more than a certain amount, which I hope is enough to deter
a would-be criminal.

Can't use poison for obvious reasons.

If I had a gun...