Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Is our view of old engineering distorted by the products which survive?

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 03:50:57 +0000, Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Hi folks,

I apologise if the title is a bit of a mouthful. But I've been thinking
about this issue for some time, and would like to seek the opinion of
people here. You frequently hear people complain about the quality of
modern products and say things like "They don't make them like they used
to". But it has occurred to me that maybe older products look good today
because only the good products have stood the test of time, and the poor
products have been thrown away years ago. What do people think? Were
products better in general back in the fifties, say, or were there a
mixture of good and bad? I'd be interested to hear people's opinions, as
I'm not old enough to remember myself.

Best wishes,

Chris

When was the last time you saw the radiator on an economy car that
lasted more than ten years of rough usage? Think Ford, Model "A". I
just disposed of my beer fridge, having replaced the start switch 25
years ago, it was manufactured in 1955 and I replaced it as an energy
conservation measure. OTOH, I also just replaced my central AC after
23 seasons.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada