Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Health Care

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 21:59:23 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

My half a dozen potential ER trips were made non-issues for me by me.
I cleaned the cut and butterflied it together with Bacitracin inside.
It was always like new by a couple weeks later.

You're a lucky guy. My one ER trip was for kidney stones. I don't know what
you could do about that on your own -- especially since you're doubled over
and puking your guts out at the time.

Like I said, I treat my body right and it doesn't do things like that.

You should have been in the other half, Ed.

The editor who stayed had me on seniority and made half my salary. And there
wasn't much to write or edit without that drug (rimonabant) to work on. g

C'est la guerre, non?

Don't like it? Talk to your congressman. The money has to come from
somewhere, or nobody will have any new drugs.

Yabbut why 400-25,000% profit for seventeen years?

Larry, those are publicly owned companies. If they're making 25,000% profit
(I won't ask how that was calculated -- my instincts tell me it would be
painful to hear), what would their net on sales look like? You can look up
their annual reports online to check that out.

Put an aspirin in each eye and look:

I read some article sometime way back which stated that they had
records showing that the pill price was 250 (or 2,500?) times that of
the cost. Pills that expensive don't sell a lot, but they don't
-have- to, do they? What's the cost for Interferon and other AIDS
drugs? They're getting $1,000-1,500 per month per _patient_ for
those. Keflex (a pennicillin kin) is $45 for four pills. Seniors are
paying hundreds of dollars a month for each prescription not covered
by the vacuous and vague Medicare Part D. And I've only touched the
tip of that iceberg.

Health care insurance is just another facade by those who have
plundered our economy. Have you tried to get a doctors appointment
without insurance?

Ask Larry.

Non responsive.

Oh, Larry is quite responsive, and he has no insurance. He's the one to
ask.

Sorry, he's in my filters for previous infractions. Is he worth
unfiltering for awhile, Ed?

I think that conversation has come to an end.

I've had insurance without a break for decades, excepting one gap of a few
months when my COBRA ran out and I was having trouble getting new
insurance.
(My doctors knew it, and took me anyway.) So I don't know what it's like
now.

I have an agreement with my body that if I have to get really sick,
it'll just let me go into the recycle bin. It keeps me well and I take
as good a care of it as I know how. I do buy bandaids, though.

As someone who felt that way for almost all of his life, I understand what
you're saying. As someone who almost died less than two years ago, my
thinking has changed -- especially since I would have lost the farm without
insurance.

Having a family changes one's thinking on all of that, too. Fortunately for
me, that's the reason *I* was well covered.

As I said, I have an agreement with my body to die instead of getting
really, really sick. Then burn me and feed me to the fishes. I'll be
back. wink

--
Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous
delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit.