Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Is our view of old engineering distorted by the products whichsurvive?

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Hi folks,

I apologise if the title is a bit of a mouthful. But I've been thinking
about this issue for some time, and would like to seek the opinion of
people here. You frequently hear people complain about the quality of
modern products and say things like "They don't make them like they used
to". But it has occurred to me that maybe older products look good today
because only the good products have stood the test of time, and the poor
products have been thrown away years ago. What do people think? Were
products better in general back in the fifties, say, or were there a
mixture of good and bad? I'd be interested to hear people's opinions, as
I'm not old enough to remember myself.

Best wishes,

Chris

Having experienced some antique furniture that was pure crap from the
day it was made.

Yes, I think a lot of it is just that what we see has been sorted by its
quality.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services