Secret Squirrel

Default Time for a dedicated shop

"-linux_lad" john at linuxlad dot org wrote in
:

Having a home shop in a garage is fine if you only use it once in a
while. The
problem is that I have to share the place with four cars, my tool
collection, and all our other junk. I'm thinking that my best option
is to build a "shed" in the back yard and migrate my shop to it. I
live in Sacramento, CA, and the city buiding code is difficult for
amateurs like myself to interpret . As I understand it, one needs a
permit for any structure over 150 square feet regardless of the
structure's purpose. Last year, I built an enclosure to my patio with
the help of a neighbor who was a retired contractor who took care of
all the bothersome details. He's deceased now, and I wish I had spent
more time learning about his trade.
What I plan to do is build a basic 20' x 20' structure along the
lines of a storage
shed and add electricity later when it's time to start using it as an
honest-to-goodness shop. I have all of the tools and equipment
neccessary for this shed project, so my only expenses would be for the
materials, plans, and food/beer for my helpers. For now, it would just
serve as storage for car parts and engines, a big hand tool
collection, garden tools, and a bunch of power tools I inherited years
ago. I mostly copy shaker furniture with hand tools and give away to
family and friends, but it's a pain in the ass to use the garage (my
current shop) for this.

I know that local codes vary, but I have some general questions I hope
someone can answer:

1) Is a four inch thick slab foundation adequate for this and likely
to be approved?

Assuming you include appropriate footings then this should be fine. The
size and depth of footings necessary will vary by location, but should
extend below the frost line. Your local building inspector can tell you
specifically what is called for in your locale, usually they will give
you all of the info with nothing more than a phone call.

2) Am I correct in assuming I can build a plain box (16" OC studs)
with a truss roof, sliding doors and call it good for now?

It would seem that way to me

3) I have calculated the cost of the lumber based on Home Depot
prices. The shed would be constructed of 2x4 studs with no interior
finishing and 3/4" exterior grade sheathing. The roof would be trusses
sheathed in OSB and covered in shingles. I plan to have two (single)
sliding doors on north and east sides, and maybe a couple of
plexiglass windows. Is there any reason why this wouldn't be
appropriate?

Probably not.. I would take the time to shop your materials to some local
lumber yards though. You'll likely find better prices and almost
certainly better service. You'll also probably find some people who are
familiar with the local building codes, although you'll still be best off
just asking the local inspector.

4) Would adding electricity to the shed (converting it to a shop) a
year from now have any affect on the permit that I built the shop on?
In other words, is a shed divergently different than workshop?

Depends on your town. Most towns will require a seperate electrical
permit. Others will allow you to use the same one.

5) Many codes have a 36" min distance to lot line for residences. The
city's website gives no clue on this rule for storage sheds, but I'm
assuming it holds for any structure. Am I correct or is there a
general exclusion for non-occupied structures?

Depends on your town, but in most the rule is, if the building is on a
permanent foundation it is subject to the setback requirements. If it is
not, like it's built on blocks then the setback is often waived.
In many towns (mine is one of them) they also define shed and garage
differently, with the main difference being the permanent foundation.

6) I intend to make the trusses myself. Does anyone have any
experience with the engineered wood beams and trusses? It's possible
to buy pre-built trusses here for about the same as it would cost to
buy the retail lumber, but it's hardly a deal if they suck.

I've not done this myself but at least one of the benefits of using the
trusses is time savings. If you're going to spend the time why not just
frame the roof, that way you'll have more available loft space.

7) The proposed location of the fundation is 103 feet from the street.
Can the concrete be pumped to the form without the truck mauling my
lawn?

8) In this type of structure, does the poured foundation have to be
inspected before the walls go up?

Depends on your building codes, but I'd say almost for sure.

If anyone lives nearby, might I request your assistance in planning
this?

Best regards to all,
--
-linux_lad