Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Calculating your carbon footprint - a load of ********

Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 16:16:19 GMT, "ARWadworth"
wrote:

Has anyone else filled in one of these besides me?

I just tried out http://actonco2.direct.gov.uk/carboncalc/html/index.aspx

I gave up halfway through. I could calculate ours myself without too
much difficulty. I know on average how many litres of LPG we use per
annum, similarly how much diesel and how many units of electricity,
and we don't take holidays. I could work out the CO2 equivalents of
the LPG and diesel, given some grey matter activity, but calculating
the CO2 equivalent of the electricity would be more difficult given
the various ways it's generated (coal, gas, nuclear, etc). But it
would be easier if I could use instant conversion factors from the
web. Does anyone know them, or can anyone point me to a site that
does?

Typical power staion generates at about 25-30% (gas turbine) up to maybe
30-40% (coal or well made oil fired)

Nuclear is not any more efficient: it just doesn't release carbon dioxide.