Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Roger is offline

Default Calculating your carbon footprint - a load of ********

The message
from Terry Fields contains these words:

I don't have the time, or indeed the inclination to carrying on arguing
on this so I will try and keep this reply short.

So you believe that the greenhouse effect is nonexistant?

Not necessarily; it may be irrelevant, or overstated, or masked by
other mechanisms.

So why call it a myth?

Because it may be irrelevant, or overstated, or masked by other
mechanisms, and yet one is being taxed on it while not looking,
sounding, or walking like the only mechanism in play.

Such a response is entirely out of keeping with that science hat you are
unsuccessfully trying to wear.

snip

No proponent of 'global warming' has exer explained why the planet
oscillates between cold and warm states; the best they can do is claim
that human activity is 'partly' to blame and 'might' accellerate
'global warming'.

The crux of the matter is the greenhouse effect. If the effect exists
then mankind is contributing to global warming even if the world is
cooling at the time because mankind is undoubtedly responsible for
discharging huge quantities of CO2 into the atmosphere.

You say that 'The crux of the matter is the greenhouse effect'; do you
have any evidence for that? It may not be 'the crux' at all.

You have absolutely no evidence that it is not.

That snippet I posted from Wikipedia:

In the absence of the greenhouse effect, the Earth's average surface
temperature of 14 °C (57 °F) would be about -18 °C (–0.4 °F) [3]
[4](Black body temperature of the Earth). "

Suggests that CO2 is major player and one mankind is heavily influencing.

snip

All you are now doing is piling supposition on supposition.

They were reasonable suppositions unlike much that is coming from the
fundamentalist wing of the climate change denyers.

snip

If that is the case then 15000 or more of the non supporters have been
incredibly quiet.

Or lack the funding.

Since when has lack of funding stopped publication in peer reviewed journals?

snip

The Wikipedia article I refer to in another post claims in effect that
it is only the greenhouse effect that up to now has made the Earth a
reasonably pleasant place to live.

That's peurile, and a supposition.

The blue-green algae that ruled the CO2-rich world before 'life as we
know it' came along were seemingly quite happy too. Who are you to say
that the planet is a 'reasonably pleasant place to live'?

No it is you that are being puerile unless you happen to be a close
relative of blue-green algae and even then I suspect you would be wrong.
An average surface temperature of minus 18C doesn't seem an ideal
environment for almost all life forms.

You might be happy to live at minus 18C but I wouldn't be and on that
point I am absolutely sure I am part of a very large majority.

snip

--
Roger Chapman