Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Sink Materials

On Sep 16, 8:00*pm, infiniteMPG wrote:
We have been bouncing all over the place so I'm posing the question to
the public, what's the best sink material for a kitchen sink? *We have
looked at stainless steel with sound deadening and it's sturdy,
lightweight, easy to mount, doesn't stain, chip or get affected by
heat or hot water. *But it looks industrial. *We have looked at
porcelain cast iron sinks as we have white appliances but the counter
top company is sounding touchy about mounting it under counter because
it's so dang heavy. *We have heard porcelain marks and dings and isn't
the sturdiest of sinks. *We have looked at granite sinks as they
advertise that they don't chip, stain and aren't affected by heat and
we like the black with the color scheme we were heading for. *The last
counter place we talked with said they refuse to mount granite sinks
because they chip so easily. *We also looked at cast sinks like
Americast which also has a coating they advertise can handle 1000-
degrees but we have heard they mark and rot and are not worth the
effort.

We're kind of leaning back to stainless but would rather not have the
industrial look but do we have any other options? *We're redoing the
kitchen complete and the stainless sink we're replacing has been in
the house for 26 years and is still in mint condition.

With the economy as shaky as it is, wouldn't it be prudent to not
obsess over fancy ways to waste money and simply appreciate the
outstanding quality/performance durability of your SS sink? If you
want to throw a more modest sum of money around and have a
conversation piece in the kitchen, then go wild with some of the avant
garde faucets from Kohler, especially, and even staid old Delta. Wall
mount controls, two foot high goose neck outlets, there's enough
foolishness out there to have fun without being stupid. SS appliances
are big now, so are range hoods. Why not sinks? The patina on your 26
year old sink is priceless from an appearance standpoint. If you put
it out on the curb it would be gone before you got back in the house
in many places. If you must replace the sink, consider the many
variants available today, again citing Kohler as an innovator. The
array of products out there is really dazzling, so have fun deciding.

Joe