Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveBell SteveBell is offline

Default Weatherproofing wood with paint?

CL "dnoyeB" Gilbert wrote:

I need to make a lid for my Cistern. I plan on using some 2x4s and
perhaps 3/4" plywood. I am wondering if I paint this, will it take
on any measure of weatherproofness?

If not, how do i make wood weatherproof. Also, without handling too
many nasty chemicals. I'm not interested in the treated wood, but I
can use it if necessary. Can't afford cedar.

The water in the Cistern is not for drinking.

Paint will be fine. Use an exterior paint. A primer wouldn't hurt, but
you can also put on extra coats of the regular paint.

Use a wood filler to fill any voids in the edge of the plywood before
you paint.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement