Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

Default Weatherproofing wood with paint?

On Sep 16, 9:56*pm, Norminn wrote:
CL "dnoyeB" Gilbert wrote:
I need to make a lid for my Cistern. *I plan on using some 2x4s and perhaps
3/4" plywood. *I am wondering if I paint this, will it take on any measure
of weatherproofness?

If not, how do i make wood weatherproof. *Also, without handling too many
nasty chemicals. *I'm not interested in the treated wood, but I can use it
if necessary. *Can't afford cedar.

The water in the Cistern is not for drinking.

CLG

Seems that exterior house paint, properly primed and applied, would do
as well on a cistern cover
as on a house. *End grain requires particular attention, extra coats, as
that is generally where paint
fails on exterior wood. *I would paint all parts before assembling, and
put on another coat after.

coat of fibreglass