Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Weatherproofing wood with paint?

CL "dnoyeB" Gilbert wrote:

I need to make a lid for my Cistern. I plan on using some 2x4s and perhaps
3/4" plywood. I am wondering if I paint this, will it take on any measure
of weatherproofness?

If not, how do i make wood weatherproof. Also, without handling too many
nasty chemicals. I'm not interested in the treated wood, but I can use it
if necessary. Can't afford cedar.

The water in the Cistern is not for drinking.

CLG

Seems that exterior house paint, properly primed and applied, would do
as well on a cistern cover
as on a house. End grain requires particular attention, extra coats, as
that is generally where paint
fails on exterior wood. I would paint all parts before assembling, and
put on another coat after.