Posted to alt.home.repair
hdivr hdivr is offline

Default Question on wiring a 240 volt Sauna Heater?

On Sep 16, 1:41*pm, Bob wrote:
hdivr wrote:
O.K. *Heres my problem. *Previously, I had a 240 volt hot tub with a
50 amp Double pole GFCI. *Recently replaced hottub with a 240v sauna.
Now, according to the wiring schematic. *I need one 240v line hooked
up to power the three heating elements.

In simple terms, the 240 volt circuit is two 120 volt circuits with
respect to the white neutral wire. *Connect the breakers as they were
originally and measure between the red and black leads. *You should get
240 volts.

Unless you want to risk electrocution in your new sauna, you should
entrust the installation to someone more familiar with 240 volt wiring,
or study references more thorough and trustworthy than Usenet.

This marginal advice is presented without any warranty, expressed or
implied.

Yes, if I test between the black and red they will show 240v.
However, doesn't that mean that each element is only being powered by
110v? The schematic on the heater is different than the instruction
manual. On the heater, it shows a single L1 line (240v) that powers
the entire heater and that all three elements are "jumpered" with a
metal clip. However in the manual, they show both a L1 and L2 wire
hooked up seperately to different elements and the third element
doesn't appear to be hooked up. (I can jumper the third element to
the second, but when checking with my multimeter, it only shows 110v
being directed to each element (with the end of the tester being held
to ground.

Am I reading this wrong? Should I only be reading the multimeter and
tester across the two terminals to get 240v and not reading each Line
against grounding to bare metal?