Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll[_2_] John R. Carroll[_2_] is offline

Default Stock Market Tanks!! Thanks GOP

On 2008-09-16, John R. Carroll jcarroll@ubu wrote:
Jedd Haas wrote:
In article ,
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

The book "Liar's Poker" is an excellent and entertaining study of
these events. The author, Michael Lewis, had a first-hand view, as
he worked at Salomon Brothers.

I have another. "Trail Fever" and it's very entertaining as well as
factually accurate.

And if you want to think about risk better, read this book

http://www.amazon.com/Fortunes-Formu.../dp/0809045990

It is an exremely insightful book.

I'm familiar with both Kelly and Thorp. What is different in today's
scenario is that the deck is constantly and deliberately being morphed
without any rules and in an environment that is extremely opaque. What if
the dealer remove all of the face cards from the deck and you didn't know
it?
That's what we have in the markets today.

The book is on my list. I generally wait until I've got several before
purchasing in order to save the shipping.
The recent exception was "Ricochet" because it was being discussed here and
Ed Huntress contributed to the editing process.
It's a decent book and for a guy like me who has not had the slightest
interest in the subject matter it was informative and well written. At eight
bucks delivered it was also an excellent value.

Thanks for the link.

--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com