The Natural Philosopher

Default Start Again Shall We?

BigWallop wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 06:28:16 UTC, "Michael Mcneil"
wrote:

Another question he might ask his expert is why floor joists are always
laid parallel to the rafters.

Hmmmm.our house is due to fall down then. Half of the house has joists
going one way, and in the rest of the house they're at right angles.
Obviously a design fault 100 years ago when it was built...

--
Bob Eager

Now it's got me worried too. The joists in this old (100+ years) are all
over the place. The builder has taken the shortest route between supporting
walls in most cases, so you can imagine, with at least eight internal
supporting structures, that none of the rooms have joists that run in same
direction.

Yes. Very worrying to find out that floor joists should run parallel with
the roofing rafters. :-))

Particulraly if you have a pitched roof, I'd say :-)