Posted to rec.woodworking
Colin B.[_2_] Colin B.[_2_] is offline

Default Cordless drill - which one to buy??

remuddler wrote:
I looked in the archives and could not find this topic discussed any
later than 2003 so I thought I would see what recommendations people
might have now in 2008.

I have a Skil cordless drill. I like the weight and balance of the
tool, it does the jobs I want it for, the batteries have lasted for
years and years, but I HATE the chuck and it is getting worse by the
week.

I am on the hunt for a cordless drill with a user friendly chuck that
will actually hold the bits in place, not too heavy, balanced in the
hand, two batteries would be good. I'm not going to spend extra $$ for
"totally excellent" top of the line - reliable and "very good" will
suit me.

I know y'all have opinions on which drill to choose and I look forward
to reading your picks and reasoning. And after I find the right tool I
will, of course, want to know where to find the best deal, too G.

I did a bunch of reading, and then bit the bullet on the Makita BDF452HW.
It's a great tool, plain and simple. The balance is perfect, the power
is startling, the batteries (it comes with two) just keep going for ages,
and the recharge time is about 15 minutes. It's light, well designed, and
really useful.

Honestly, one of the nicest tools I own.

Colin