Posted to uk.d-i-y
Terry Fields Terry Fields is offline

Default Calculating your carbon footprint - a load of ********

dennis@home wrote:

"Terry Fields" wrote in message
.. .

ARWadworth wrote:

So all in all, Action CO2 calculator is a pile of crap IMHO.

...and so is the CO2/'global warming' myth.

Since Al Gore's famous graph of CO2/temperature over the millennia was
shown to be flawed - in that the CO2 levels *lagged* climate change -
the heat has gone out of that debate, and focussed on sunspot activity
instead.

However, the dear old Beeb, always keen to support government policies
when they involve raising taxes for spurious reasons like this, showed
a programme on Sunday night(?) that tried to debunk the CO2-debunkers.
It 'answered' the 'sunspot' thing by saying that as sunspot activity
'blew away' the cosmic rays that promote cloud formation (which cools
down the planet), sunspots had nothing to with climate change!

Well if they said that then the BBC is talking cr@p.

Well, we had company round and I was watching the programme
intermittently - but I did catch the solar-wind thing, as I guessed
they needed to debunk that too, and it duly turned up.

I'd be grateful for a second opinion on what they said, though. The
solar-wind thing was near the end of the programme.

Cosmic rays are high energy particles that solar wind has no effect on.

Exactly. So it doesn't really matter if the programme claimed whether
the solar wind stopped the cosmic rays, or vice versa.

The damn things are travelling so fast they penetrate deeply into the
atmosphere where solar wind doesn't reach.
If that is the basis they are discounting the cosmic ray effect on they need
to think again.
I will have to get iPlayer out and view the program to see what other lies
they are telling the gullible.

Ah, here it is....Sunday evening, BBC2, "Earth: The Climate Wars",
2/3, Fightback, presenter Dr Iain Stewart.

I've just checked, and yes, Dr Iain Stewart says that the solar wind
'blows away the cosmic rays' (about 47 minutes in). But he uses the
argument that currently, planetary temperatures are on the increase,
but solar activity is level, thus debunking the effect of solar
activity on global warming.

You have to listen for the weasel words...slipped in somewhere, global
warming is 'partly' due to human activity, without saying what the
other effects are.

What he doesn't even mention is a) why the planet has cooled by 0.7
degC in the last year (NASA figures?), and why the planet warmed after
the Salutrians paddled in their kayaks from the south of France to
mid-North America along the edge of the ice-pack, about 20,000 years
ago. No man-made global-warming then!