Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] mail@atics.co.uk is offline

Default wood treatment

On 16 Sep, 05:53, "edith wrote:
angela....just stumbled on your ? boy are you getting the run around, in my
humble opinion anyway. First Lifetime is distributed by valhala who are
located in alberta,calgary i think.all hardware stores worthy of that name
carry it. home hardware for sure.I have been using it for years and have
used it in many applications decking, fences ,outdoor furniture siding etc.
every application has performed beyond what i dared hope for....after years
of All the fancy name brands many mentioned in replies you got....I consider
lifetime to be one of the best things that has happened to outdoor wood.
about 12 years ago our city applied it to our board walk along our
waterfront (about 2 miles of it)it still looks like it did on day one and
has never been retouched,our Ont. natural resources uses it on all there
stuff because it is completely safe and non polluting even in water.I love
it so much they could take all the other products off the market as far as
I'm concerned it originated in sweden I believe ......if you can not find it
I'd mail it to you even......18.99 makes a gal.in dry form its smaller than
a cig. package.....good luck girl.....just noticed you are probably writing
from the u.k.you should still be able to get it it is a international
company

url:http://myreader.co.uk/msg/1391138932.aspx

Edith
Interesting post. What you are not appreciating is that the
environment of the North American continent is different from ours -
cold winter - hot summber and so any of the efficacy tests (and I note
none you have quoted is scientific only anecdotal or empirical) are of
no pertinence to a temperate climate as we have in the UK - at least
at present!
It is illegal to use any form of biocide in the UK (Europe) that has
not been assessed and passed by appropriate scientific testing - the
Control of Pesticides Regulations 1986 started this off then we had
the COSSH regs 1989 and all the follow up stuff. Most of our really
good garden biocides seem to have disappeared now because of the
recent requirement to prove efficacy and do testing and for many small
firms the cost was just not worth it.
If the recommended product is not approved either it is so mild as not
to be effective (and how can it be effective as a PRESERVATIVE if it
is water based and inorganic?)or not a preservative at all but simply
a covering.
Chris G