Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Opinion AKA: LipStick On A Pig

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

On Sep 14, 7:45Â*pm, Mark & Juanita wrote:
Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

On Sep 13, 2:09Â*am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Mark & Juanita" wrote:
Why is it that the drastic energy price increases started after the
Democrats took control of the legislative branch? Â*If Bush and
Cheney were
so responsible, one would think those drastic increases would have
started
shortly after 2001.

They did.

It takes time to implement a plan.

http://www.pushhamburger.com/oil_history.htm

Prices dropped during 2000, stabilized during 2001 and began
rising in 2002.

Note the word above, "drastically". Â*Even using your link, there were a
number of world events that drove the price of crude up, but not as
drastically as we've seen in the past 2 years.

Well that depends on what standard you have for 'drastic'.

Let's keep it simple for you Fred. Were gasoline prices at or above $4
per gallon before or after the 2006 election?

Interestingly, the price of refined petroleum products began
rising as soon as Bush/Cheney took orifice, as if the companies
anticipated the rise in crude prices:

http://www.dallasfed.org/eyi/usecon/0508gas.html

Again, from your link, refined prices started going up in 1999 *before*
Bush and Cheney were even elected or for that matter nominated, are you
saying that the market was prescient?

That's odd.

When I look at that plot it shows the prices dropping
throughout 2001. I sort of inferred that changes
post-2001 were independent of the ups and downs
that preceded it.

But Fred, in the paragraph above to which I was responding, you asserted
that the price of refined petroleum products began rising as soon as
Bush/Cheney took office, "as if the companies anticipated the rise in crude
prices". IIRC, they took office in 2001, now you are asserting that the
plot shows the prices dropping throughout 2001. Prices started rising
after 2001 due some rather significant world events.

But maybe you should look at the plot from 1869
to 2004. Then you could give the Republicans credit
for the drastic drop that started around 1869 and
then point to the rise from 1979 -81 and blame
today's prices on Carter.

... and it is comments like these with which you have attained the title
of master debater.

/I'm done, I've got better things to do with my time.