Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default A rhetorical question

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 18:47:00 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that "Lloyd E.
Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote on Mon, 15 Sep 2008
12:53:49 -0500 in rec.crafts.metalworking :
I have a casual acquaintance who I respect for one of his areas of
expertice. Besides that knowlege, he claims to have been "a machinist
for decades". He's of retirement age now.

Recently, he instructed a raw-beginner HSM on how to turn long tapers
using the compound and frequent re-chucking, and using a file for
dressing up the jaggies. When I suggested turning between centers and
offsetting the tailstock, he bristled, saying that it was
"impossible" to ever get the tailstock back on center again.

Later he made a comment to another fellow allowing that "owning a
lathe and a mill would only be a dream for me."

Can I presume this guy is NOT "a machinist"? G

Or is it possible that production-floor machine _operators_ call
themselves that?

Or are called that, think they are that, and are really just
"button monkeys" Some of them may learn the trade, but ... well I'm
learning the "problems" which occur when all you've done for a set up
is put fixtures in predefined locations, load ,material and go.
This machining is really wild. I'm learning a lot, but I'm also
building the base of previous 'experience'.

pyotr

When I worked as a manual cut off lathe operator in a tube factory, I
was classified as skilled labour, one step up from the floor sweeper.
My machine was set up by the shift lead hand but I was allowed to re
sharpen the cutter after receiving instruction.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada