Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default Crooked garage door

On Sep 15, 10:43 am, JJ wrote:
Probably answered 100 times, but I can't find the simple answer.

I have a 2-car garage with a single door. About 5 years ago, one of
my garage door springs snapped. I had both springs replaced by a
professional. Things looked fine for a while, but in the past 6
months, I've noticed that when the door is closed, one side is on the
ground and the other has a gap of about 1 inch.

Is there a simple adjustment for this problem that a DIYer can make,
or should I call back the professionals? I don't want to go anywhere
near those springs.

Should this be a simple job for the pros?

Thanks.

-JJ

Do you have separate springs on each slide of the door right over the
opening? That is a torsion bar type of lifter and is for the pros.
If you have two springs, one on each side alongside the door when it
is up, that is easy to do. But, since you are timid, find a handy
neighbor and have them take a look. Replacing side-mounted springs is
a 10 minute job, but you do have to get the right spring. THey are
usually color-coded.

Bob Hofmann

More accurately, the tension probably just needs adjusting. Springs,
especially new ones, don't always stretch at the same rate and tend to
loosen after a period of time as the memory fades. Usually only one
adjustment is needed for new springs though. And, it's a normal thing.