Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Yearly Maintenance on Wood Deck for Various Deck Finish?

"Jay Chan" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

much as an oil finish. This gets pretty much just mopped on once a year
and
done with it. Like the lady said before, wash it with some bleach and let

I am under the impression that oil will be absorted into the wood.
Will this be
a problem if I later on decide to use a water based finish? Will the

Yes, so you wont do that later.

not have a choice because the clear finish product that I am thinking of
getting is also oil-based product. I guess I just have to use it.

Jay, thats exactly what everyone has been telling you not to add if you want
low maintenance. Do not add a 'varnish etc' finish over the oil. Just the
oil. Simple, works, protects the wood, and some come with a little 'stain
colorant' to even out the deck looks.

For that high traffic area, consider getting an outdoor sort of runner. Be
sure it's made for outdoor or it will hold water and cause mold. Some are a
light airy weave and won't stay 'wet' longer than the deck itself. In fact,
the deck might be a little dryer under that part. Mom has a nice one I got
her ages ago. It's a light woven sort that looks a bit like tatami (except
much looser) and of a nylon weave that doesnt hold water. Took me a bit to
find it but it's out there.