Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default "tuning" in a Freeview digital TV set-top box

"Jerry" wrote in message
On Sep 14, 3:35 am, "Arfa Daily" wrote:

A different position for the aerial can make all the difference. Many
years
ago, in the early UHF colour days, I was installing a TV in a village that
was a very difficult reception area, being in a complete hollow in the
countryside. We arranged for the aerial man to be there at the same time
as
us. I clearly remember him walking backwards and forwards along the
house's
ridge line, with an aerial 6 foot long on a 10 foot pole in his arms
looking
for somewhere to get a signal. Success was the difference between a
chimney
stack on one end of the house, and another one thirty feet away at the
other
end ...

Hah, reminds me of the neighbor behind my summer cabin on the fringes
of Flagstaff AZ. This area is served by 8 or 9 repeater stations
carrying signals from the Phoenix channels. Repeater stations in the
colonies, incidentally, are not required at this time to switch over
to digital - most of the repeaters that we can receive at our cabin
are staying analog for the near future.

Anyway, the neighbor is the chief engineer for one of the Phoenix
stations, stands to reason he has the best TV reception in the area.
When I asked him what he did to get such good reception, he mentioned
the type of antenna, the type of coax, and the fact that he borrowed a
portable spectrum analyzer from work and walked his roof until he
found the best possible signal.

Jerry

There ya go then ! Identical story from 4000 miles away !

Arfa