Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary Owens Gary Owens is offline

Default A rhetorical question

Was he in a union. in some union shops, any one operating a machine, even a
punch press, is a machinist.
gary

. 3.70...
I have a casual acquaintance who I respect for one of his areas of
expertice. Besides that knowlege, he claims to have been "a machinist
for decades". He's of retirement age now.

Recently, he instructed a raw-beginner HSM on how to turn long tapers
using the compound and frequent re-chucking, and using a file for
dressing up the jaggies. When I suggested turning between centers and
offsetting the tailstock, he bristled, saying that it was
"impossible" to ever get the tailstock back on center again.

Later he made a comment to another fellow allowing that "owning a
lathe and a mill would only be a dream for me."

Can I presume this guy is NOT "a machinist"? G

Or is it possible that production-floor machine _operators_ call
themselves that?

LLoyd