Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default "tuning" in a Freeview digital TV set-top box

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
Where I live, we have a clear line of site to the original analogue
transmitter about 20 miles away. We could receive perfect pictures on a
piece of wet string. Now, it needs a great big metal thing on the roof.
Many are either double stacked yagis, or the 'X' element "antighost"
types.

That really doesn't make sense to me.

However, the ERP of the digital services will be upped when the analogue
ones are switched off.

--
*Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Nor me really. I haven't bothered with equipping the house with DTTV, as I
can get all the services I need via Sky, so I haven't looked into why these
monster antennas seem to be needed. Of course, there's no reason why an
antighost antenna shouldn't work just as well without any ghosting problem
to overcome, so perhaps riggers are just carrying one type of 'catch-all'
antenna on their vans ? I know that in the nearby town, there have been many
issues with receiving reliable DTTV signals, so that might go along with my
suspicion.

I suppose another possibility could be to do with the reduced ERPs of the
digital transmitters, and also that not all of the DTTV transmitters are
co-located with their analogue counterparts. Maybe where I am, that is the
case, and in the direction that the DTTV transmitter lies, there is in fact
some obstruction or adverse lie of the land. I'll have to have a bit closer
look to see if the toast racks are pointing in the same direction as the
discrete little 10 ele yagis on the houses that are still thusways equipped.

Arfa