Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default pump design help

wrote:
On Sep 15, 7:00 am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

OK, now to the question. Will installing a VFD and running the motor at 50%
speed have a good chance at working? Or, do I need a larger motor and VFD?
I want to move the same amount of water.

Karl

My thoughts are reduce pitch to reduce cavitation. Increase diameter
to increase flow. Since you are running in a tube, increasing
diameter might be difficult. So another off the wall idea would be to
run two props on the same shaft. Maybe with the first prop slightly
lower pitch than the second prop. This is likely to be a poor idea as
I am more of a EE than ME. I am sure someone will pipe up with why
this is a good or bad idea.

Dan

It may work if you run vanes to straighten the flow between stages.

But it'd take a ton of work (or an expert) to tell you for sure, and how
to do it in a way that wouldn't just compound your problems, instead of
simplifying them.

So Karl, how much time do you have on your hands for experimentation?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services