Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Calculating your carbon footprint - a load of ********

Tony Bryer wrote:
On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 14:02:06 +0100 Dave Plowman (News) wrote :
But likely in a container by sea. Which is extremely cheap.

So it seems: in preparation for emigrating I have just shipped a
selection of my books (got the number down to 500!!!), DVDs, 70
souvenir coffee mugs from around the world and some clothes. 16 cartons
in total. Cost for the removal firm to come to my home, pack
everything, ship to Melbourne and at the other end deliver and unpack
was £500. I can't help thinking that sending it all to Manchester would
have cost more. IIRC the rate for a container load to Australia is no
more than about £3-4K and that's a lot of almost anything.

The only time I sent a container, the damn ship ran aground. So I was
contacted by some never-heard-of insurer asking if they could settle on
my behalf. Seems they have to go round every single container and
contact the owner. All I had to do was sign a form and forget about it,
but was odd at the time.

--
Rod

onset.