Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Bearcat BC855XLT Loosing Memory

Brad wrote:

Hi,

I have a Bearcat BC 855XLT scanner (scanning radio) in my service shop.
No schematic. The radio lost all it's memory, but I was able to reprogram
some of the channels and the radio works.

The OM says, "A unique capacitor type memory back-up eliminates the need
for batteries". I suspect that maybe this capacitor is going bad(?), but
since I don't have a schematic, I have no idea where this capacitor is
located.

The is a type of RAM called CapStore. It was a common static RAM,
with some flash memory. It detected a power loss and stored the
contents in the flash memory, and on power up, wrote it back to the
static memory. We used it to replace the 2k * 8 battery backed RAM in
our products.

http://www.zmd.de/pdf/CapStore.pdf

http://www.google.com/search?q=capstore+ram&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLD

--