Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tin openers

On Sep 14, 10:28*pm, Phil Addison wrote:
On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 13:35:43 GMT, in uk.d-i-y "Phil L"

wrote:
Tim Decker wrote:
Has anyone else been having problems with opening tins? *We found it
really hard to open tins with a previous tin opener. So I got an old
fashioned butterfly one and this didn't work very well, so bought
another from Asda (35p) and found this didn't work. Finally went to
John Lewis and paid for an expensive one (£7) and have now found this
doesn't work properly.

This made me think that maybe the manufacture of tinned goods has
changed slightly.

I've used an electric can opener for about 15 years now, I think it cost
around £6.

It's a kenwood, like this one:
http://www.spb-holdings.net/index.ph..._info&products....

If you type electric can opener into google and click 'shopping', you will
have loads of them starting from about £8.

No effort, hands free, clean edges, magentic lid holder, it's a no-brainer
really

No *not* really. I have one of those and it leaves sharp edges on the
lid, not *that* sharpe, but still requires care with the lid. However,
the worst thing about it is that the magnet attachment and the blade are
a bugger to clean; loads of nasty crevices. Surely there must be a
better make? oh, and this one has a gadget on the back for grinding away
your kitchen knives.

Phil

Although I'm not generally a fan of bloat, and an electric motor on a
can opener 10x the size does at first sight look like bloat, reality
is these things do make opening cans much easier. Cleaning the handle
part is effortless if you have a dishwasher, if not then a hot soak is
wanted. If not cleaned now and then the mank gets into the handle
mechanism and jams the cutter in the up position so it wont open
anything.

The built in grinder is a waste of time, not that I expected
otherwise.

Some people seem to have truoble with getting the tin in the right
position, if its too far over one way it wont work.

NT

PS the manual type that slice through the side take less work than the
top cutters, as the metal's thinner. But the result is a wobbly can
with sharp edges and no drip edge - so basically for people with mild
hand problems.

NT