Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Grumpy Grumpy is offline

Default Cordless drill/tool that doesn't lockup when trigger released?

"Den" wrote in message

"John Doe" wrote in message

I need to propel a 6 inch wheel at about 5 mph. So I need a cordless
drill or any light cordless tool that is geared to about 400 rpm.
Unfortunately, the thing cannot include a device that causes lockup
when the trigger is released and forward pressure appears on the
drill shaft.

I'd like medium to high quality, but functionally like my cheap
cordless Skil drill, with a clutch that works in both directions.
But my Skil isn't powerful enough and doesn't include a low gear
that tops out at 400 rpm or less.

Hopefully I can disable the braking feature on my DeWalt DC728 14.4
V drill. I disassembled it and got to mess with lots of gears but
did not see the braking mechanism. I guess the braking mechanism is
located in the one of the clutch pieces. It doesn't seem very
modular, I'm not sure I could even use the geared motor without the
clutch.

By the way.

Apparently DeWalt drills use MOLYKOTE grease. I see McMaster has
several different types. What type of that grease or what other type
of grease is suitable for drill gears?

Is handling that grease hazardous?

Thanks.

The braking may be electrical. Shorting the motor terminals together when
the power is disconnected will brake the rotor/armature. This seems to be
what is done in my Bosch & Ryobi drills. My guess is that it is done in
the trigger switch.

Even with the motor unbraked you will probably get significant
friction/intertia as you will be driving the rotor (stepped up) back
through the gearbox. HTH.

What are you tring to do? There are some reasonably priced geared DC
motors around and reversing is not a problem.

Why not purchase an over-running clutch bearing. They are identical
dimensions to a standard bell bearing, but transmit torque in one direction
only. In the other direction they are a free running bearing. They are
usually about 50% more expensive than an equivalent bearing. They are
readily available here in Australia, so you should have no trouble locating
one at any reasonably good bearing supplier such as SKF or NSK