Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Old Guy Old Guy is offline

Default large bowl blanks

Marty,

I can't hurt to contact your local tree service and see if they are
cutting down anything interesting.

If you show up with a chain saw and donuts and/or 12 pack they will
sometimes let you have a crack at the wood.

Obviously they have some liability propblems that you will have to
cooperate with.

I've had good luck making big bowls out of pine, walnut, ash, maple
and butternut, all trees that needed to be felled for other reasons.

And as pointed out elsewhere, get 'em home and turn 'em right away to
rough size. I weigh my rough blanks, and when they stop loosing
weight, I figure that they have hit equilibrium and finish turn them.
Works for me. Good idea to seal the end grain on the rough turned
blanks to avoid cracks.

Old Guy

On Sep 13, 10:38*pm, "Marty G" wrote:
Ok the Wife SWMBO want me to turn a large bowl for popcorn for xmas, Since
Ike missed central Texas there is no big trees down around here and even if
I could score the logs they woulnd not be dry until next year. *Does anyone
know where I can find a 12x12x12 or 14 blank of a fairly soft wood. *I am
only a soso intermediate turner and don't want to try it with purpleheart or
Narda.

TIA
Marty