Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
John Doe John Doe is offline

Default Cordless drill/tool that doesn't lockup when trigger released?

I need to propel a 6 inch wheel at about 5 mph. So I need a cordless
drill or any light cordless tool that is geared to about 400 rpm.
Unfortunately, the thing cannot include a device that causes lockup
when the trigger is released and forward pressure appears on the
drill shaft.

I'd like medium to high quality, but functionally like my cheap
cordless Skil drill, with a clutch that works in both directions.
But my Skil isn't powerful enough and doesn't include a low gear
that tops out at 400 rpm or less.

Hopefully I can disable the braking feature on my DeWalt DC728 14.4
V drill. I disassembled it and got to mess with lots of gears but
did not see the braking mechanism. I guess the braking mechanism is
located in the one of the clutch pieces. It doesn't seem very
modular, I'm not sure I could even use the geared motor without the
clutch.

By the way.

Apparently DeWalt drills use MOLYKOTE grease. I see McMaster has
several different types. What type of that grease or what other type
of grease is suitable for drill gears?

Is handling that grease hazardous?

Thanks.