Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default Speeds when facing

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Sep 14, 3:37 pm, "Michael Koblic" wrote:

Mild steel disc - 5-8" diameter, 1/8" -1/4" thick.
The desired surface finish is:
a) Flat
b) Even
c) Equivalent to 300 - 600 grit
d) The reverse side finish is less stringent - 200 grit would do.

At this point there is *no* machine available for this. ...

So far all I have come up with is an old gramophone player - 33-1/2 to 78
rpm would be just right :-)
Michael Koblic,

There is, it's called a Blanchard grinder. A wood lathe with a large
faceplate might work, but don't sand or grind on a metal lathe unless
it's too worn for anything else.

The machines used to polish samples in metallurgical labs are
approximately what you need. They look like record turntables but are
much more solidly built since you press the sample against them to
polish it.

No go on the potters' or motorcycle wheel and a pad sander, like we
suggested?

***********Haven't seen any potter's wheels about at all. As to the bike
wheel I have not tried hard enough yet. I still have a couple of dials to
finish (actually one got finished just yesterday) and then I want to have a
closer look at the 12V motor with gear box I mentioned. If I can get that
one work my prayers may be answered.

On the 24th there is a big tool auction coming up here. I had a look what
they had so far and there *is* a lathe. Looks ancient with bits hanging off
it. It is quite big and space would be an issue. Also could not find anyone
to tell me the details.

A chap near here had a lathe on Craig's list for $600. The info was sparse
to say the least: It turned to be something like a 7X10 Pratt&Whitney bu
that is about it. No pictures ("camera batteries low") and unable to
demonstrate that it actually turns. I gave it up as a bad job.

Local Canadian Tire has a wood-lathe with the lowest speed 500 rpm. Two
reviews gave it 1/5, the thing fell apart on them.

I have also got a 1/3 HP induction motor (I think) sitting on the top shelf.
I have been looking into various modes of transmission (a subject I am even
more ignorant about than others) with a view of pressing it into service.

Yours and others comments about using wood for at least some of the
construction sent me thinking along different pathways.

It's nothing that has to be sorted by tomorrow...

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC