Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Removing Broken Glass in Door

Sam wrote:

I know that, in theory, glass installed in wooden windows or wooden
doors is typically held in place either by putty or wooden strips --
but I have a door leading to a second floor apartment, containing
Florex glass in the upper half of it, and I cannot figure out how the
glass was installed. The glass has been broken and needs to be
replaced, but it's almost as if the glass were somehow built into the
door! I know it sounds strange, but this is a 125 year-old frame
building and almost everything in it is strange. My only clue is that
one side of the frame does have the impression of little headless
nails spaced every 4" or so, which would suggest that a strip exists,
but there's no area where any joining has been done.

Ideas, anybody?

TIA.

Sam

If there are small brads in the frame, there is likely a wood molding
holding the glass. Painted
over? Got a picture? Solid door? Panels? Is it possible someone
applied plywood over
the surface of the door that conceals the glazing? As a last resort,
one could bust out the rest
of the glass ... then see inside of where it is mounted.