Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee Lee is offline

Default Reasonable price for building a few steps?

cshenk wrote:
wrote

Current
steps -http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v704/lurkerlee/problem%20areas/?act...

As has been said, the present steps are a code violation and as you
have said, not comfortable or safe.

Yes. Looks like original outdoor ones. Would not be code compliant now for
exterior either but would have been grandfathered. Once the room was built
around them, then local code compliancy comes to question. They may no
longer be grandfathered? Area dependant.

Example, when I had my sunroom redone, we were required to upgrade a door
lintel and electrical to current standards. Both were grandfathered before
but not on a rebuilt room.

Is there a drawing or written description of what the contractor is to
build?

As I see it,the contractor wants to build a code compliant landing at
the door, then the steps.
He originally had in mind a set of steps without landing.

I'd add to make sure the fellow knows his codes. This can be a costly
mistake if it has to be redone.

I agree with Alta47 as well, unless the existing steps are so covered you
cant tell thery are there, it's gonna look tacky. Encasing with brickwork
over them (leading to 2 taller steps) is the only untacky way besides
encasing completely in wood, that I can think of. All other methods I can
think of involve removal of the cement steps.

Thank you all for the comments. Yes, I'm pretty sure these were the
original cement steps to the outside, and at some point, someone added
on the sunroom with the cement floor (which I assume is why the last
step is so shallow). All of the houses in this neighborhood seem to have
two sets of back steps.

What I'm envisioning, although now that you mention it, I need to be
sure that's explicit, is that the cement steps would be completely
covered by the wooden ones.

Interestingly, I actually did have a mason cover the front steps in
brick (same problem). He added a "landing" or at least a very small drop
to the top step. He did a beautiful job, but to me, brick steps are sort
of "outdoorsy", and thought wood would make it more of a room...but heck
they would be nicer than cement! He did give me a quote on doing both
sets of steps in the sunroom, but that was 2400! I'm not sure the steps
are quite that annoying yet. (I'm still trying to sell my old house, so
every dollar counts right now).

I'm assuming that having the current cement steps removed would be a big
deal? I may have to rethink the brick approach.

(Oh, and BTW, the male relative is my younger brother. I'm not asking
him to do the steps because he never finished projects he started in my
old house 20 years ago, LOL).