Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Reasonable price for building a few steps?

"Joe" wrote

space could be gained by eliminating the seldom used entry.
Make some sketches and work with your contractor on pricing. Railings
and proper steps will be very nice to live with, especially if the
steps follow the commonly preferred 7" rise and 11" run. HTH

Caution if I understand you to eliminate the door steps. It may be a code
issue in the case of 2 egresses per room. Codes arent always logical.

Where I am, the only thing that makes my egress 'legal' from the 3rd bedroom
which has no window, is the origional exterior door that now leads to a
sunroom. This may be the same as what she has (not mentioned is the room
the sunroom leads to inside the house).

The sun room is 'legal' because of the patio door and windows. Happens to
also have another door which we refit to proper lintels and exterior coded
door. (Inspectors quibble on that one here, and some say exterior coded
door is overkill while others mandate it due to the screened porch on that
side).