Posted to alt.home.repair
boden boden is offline

Default Super-strength rust/iron remover needed

hr(bob) wrote:
On Sep 14, 10:57 am, wrote:

snip

Oxiclean does not contain oxalic acid. It is a percarbonate which
hydrolyzes when mixed with water to ultimately produce free oxygen.

You are right. OxiClean contains oxygen bleach

I bought some CLR, could not find anyone that sold any oxalic acid-
related products in our city, maybe it has been banned. Any ideas on
the HCl-based iron stain/rust/lime removers??

I wouldn't do it. Hydrochloric acid is far too reactive, even when
diluted. You run the risk of damaging plumbing and the drain assembly.

I recently saw a neighbor attack rust stains on his concrete driveway
with HCl only to immortalize them.

Try to find Barkeeper's Friend...even our one grocery store carries
that. It contains some oxalic acid. Make a paste of Barkeeper's Friend
and water and apply that. Let it sit for an hour or so. Replace it as
needed. The paste needs to remain wet. Ultimately the rust will be
gone...I've done this many times.

The only possible problem is if you or someone else has tried a
different approach and converted the rust from ferric oxide to another
compound.