Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Yearly Maintenance on Wood Deck for Various Deck Finish?

"Jay Chan" wrote
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

By the way, what I want from the deck finish a (1) prevent the
pressure treated wood deck from turning grey in order to maintain the
natural wood color or have a nice redwood color, (2) reduce water
absorption into the wood, (3) reduce mildew on the wood surface, (3)
annual maintenance is OK, taking too much time to do each annual
maintenance is not OK.

cedar, in that order. I'd give it a coat of Penofin oil every year as it
has good UV protection.

Jay, adding to what Ed said, this is the easiest way to go and will look
nice. Your problem just now is it was stained already. What you actually
wanted was a 'thompsons water seal' (oil based) product that isnt a stain so
much as an oil finish. This gets pretty much just mopped on once a year and
done with it. Like the lady said before, wash it with some bleach and let
it dry out to get at the mold you have now. My have to scrub a bit with a
stiff bristle brush in bad spots but after that, an annual job pretty much.

I built my Mom a porch extension in movable parts back in 1981. Although
we've had to replace various steps or a board or two over the years, she's
still got that porch. (it comes apart in sections, gets loaded in her
trailer when she moves, then comes out at the new place). All we've ever
done is the oil seal annually over the natural wood ( cedar in this case).