Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] stratus46@yahoo.com is offline

Default One channel on stereo amp blows filter cap on negative rail

Ancient_Hacker wrote:
if the -22 supply has failed, due to a blown diode or fuse, and if

the
output transistors have shorted, then the -22 rail will be pulled
positive and that will blow the capacitor.

Also note that the schematic has errors on it, for instance the

output
transistors have emitter and collectors reversed!

Hope you didnt wire the new ones in like the schematic!!

I thought that at first too but if you zoom to 300% you'll see the
emitter marks where they belong and the 'squiggles' on the collectors
may be a 1970's version of heatsink. You'll see the same marks on the
collector of Q312 indicating it is thermally coupled to the heatsink
with the outputs.

Way back in the days when I worked on stereo gear I had a unit with
very bizarre distortion. It turned out to be a transistor with a
'leak' which on a curve tracer showed up as a transistor in parallel
with a resistor from E to C. If Tiger has a similar quirky part it may
explain why he's having such a bad time with that amp - which is
pretty straightforward and decent for it's day.