Posted to rec.woodworking
David G. Nagel[_2_] David G. Nagel[_2_] is offline

Default Sept 11, 2001

J. Clarke wrote:
David G. Nagel wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
jo4hn wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
Buddy Matlosz wrote:

I didn't know B25s were deployed in Europe. My dad flew in one
as
turret
gunner with the Marines in the Pacific.
Way back when I was a kid interested in model airplanes,
especially
WWII equipment, I remember the B-25 was deployed in Europe in
the
final months, probably less than a year.

I wouldn't bet the farm on the above.
The RAF had about 900 of them and started using them in 1943.
The
USAAC used them in "Torch" and other Mediterranean operations.

and used by Gen Doolittle in the Tokyo raid in 1942.
But that wasn't Europe.

Used mainly for
low level bombing and strafing runs.
Yep. Stuck as many guns in the nose as they could fit.

My first instructor pilot was a veteran of the Polesti raids. He
served in the same group as tail gunner Joe. They flew in B-25's.

While it's a nice story, Tail Gunner Joe (the famous one who later
became a US Senator, that is, there might have been someone else
called "Tail Gunner Joe") flew his combat missions as a
gunner-observer in SBD dive bombers in the Solomons, and the Ploesti
raid was flown by B-24s, not B-25s.

I think it's called TRUST BUT VERIFY. I did but didn't. Sorry for the
bad information.
btw Read the WIKI entry on the good Senator. He should have been SWIFT
BOATED.